Re: AMD64 Question

Simon Buchanan <nmc@orcon.net.nz> writes:

> Hi There, Can someone please answer a hardware/usage question for me? We
> have used woody on 386/686 servers for ages, normally on pentium 3 and AMD
> athlons. We are currently susing a new production mail server... which
> will have the following installed:
>
> - Postfix, DBMail, Apache, PHP, MySQL and a virus product called BitDefender
>
> The servers spec is currently:
>
> - Tyan Tiger 7320 motherboard, 2xXeon (800Mhz), 2GB RAM, 3Ware 9000 SATA
> hardware Raid (PCI-X), Intel nics.
>
> My question is: Above sinatlling sarge and running this kernel
> "kernel-image-2.6.8-9-em64t-p4-smp", is it worth looking at the AMD64
> debian port for this server? bearing in mind that it is a production
> system and needs to be a high-availability one at that.
>
> Thanks (sorry for the green question)
>
> Simon

I would suggest creating a chroot (see amd64 FAQ) and install services
there (use different ports for servers). Test if it all
works. [Actualy first install the kernel and see if your existing
system stays stable].

Do BitDefender come with a 64bit version? Getting that to works might
be (relatively speaking) the hardest part.

MfG
        Goswin