DVD RW drive not recognized

I do

[root /home/cabuz]>mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/hda is not a valid block device

This drive is the master and a DVD rom is the slave on that bus .  The
DVD ROM slave is recognized, but not the master DVD writer.

Possibly related to this is that I can't enable DMA on either of these two.

I do

[root /home/cabuz]>hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Oh, btw, in my fstab, I noticed these two lines, which the installer
put in there by default.

/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

That's strange, if it keeps saying it can't even see /dev/hda.

Any suggestions?

Alex.