Re: amd64 build necessary to get nvidia nforce3 mobo working?

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 02:13:36PM +0100, Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
> Thank you for your replies, everybody, I'll try 386 again tonight...
>
> I tried the amd64 mini.iso installer. It works great up until it needs
> to install the base system. Then, it can't find the network. I go to
> command line and I do ifconfig
>
> I get
> eth0  Link Encap: UNSPEC HWaddr and then a bunch of numbers separated
> by colons. Lots of them. Besides, not having the base install I don't
> have pppoe and therefore the installer can't get on the internet to
> get the base install.
>
> I have a feeling that this is where that bootstrapping with sarge 386
> comes into play, but I don't know what that means.
>
> Is there another iso image available, aside from the mini.iso, that
> also contains the base system? And what does this Link Encap: UNSPEC
> stuff mean?
>
> On the computer I am using right now, ifconfig says
>
> eth0      Lien encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0F:1F:C8:9C:55

The installer does NOT do PPPoE (at least not last I checked).  Use the
100M sarge install CD instead since it has base on it, or a similar
amd64 iso.  After that you should be able to get PPPoE running.

Does the BIOS have a PnP OS Installed option?  If so, turn it off if it
is on, since that setting often messes up the init of hardware (by the
fact it doesn't do a bunch of it).