Re: amd64 build necessary to get nvidia nforce3 mobo working?

> Hello,
>
> I know this question is probably better suited for an nividia linux
> forum (where I have posted it 2 minutes ago) but I thought I might
> check with people on this list too, maybe somebody knows.
>
> I recently bought an athlon64 nvidia nforce3 box, and have not been
> able to install anything except windows on it. I want to install
> Sarge, but the i386 build does not recognize the network or sound,
> both of which are integrated in the motherboard. The drivers provided
> by nvidia are binary and they will only install on a 64 bit kernel.
>
> My question is this:
> "Is there any way to get the ethernet and the sound going on nforce3
> in Sarge 386, that is, without installing the true amd64 port which is
> not yet finished, and which therefore might be more trouble than it's
> worth?"

I had no problem with the new sarge netinstall. I used a 2.6 kernel.

The module to get the network working is called forcedeth, the sound
is an intel ix810 ac97 compatible chip, so you can use either oss or
alsa modules to get it working. I recommend alsa ones.

Net and sound are supported either in the i386 and amd64 ports of debian.

> Note that I have already installed a minimal, text only, Sarge 386 on
> this box, WITH the forcedeth driver, and it does not see any ethernet
> interface at all, preventing me from doing a netinstall, which is the
> only install I can do without burning 10 CDs and besides, a computer
> that cannot get on the internet is useless (to me). It looks like the
> forcedeth driver in Sarge 386 is for nforce2, while I got nforce 3.

I have had any problems with 2.6.3 and newer kernels. Try an upgrade.
Or use the amd64 port of debian (recommended).

> Any suggestions would be helpful (I am at that experience level where
> I am just starting to crawl out of the newbie cave, and start seeing
> the light, instead of just the shadows on the wall, but my eyes still
> hurt).

Buy a new sunglases :)

Aritz Beraza [Rei]
--