Re: amd64 build necessary to get nvidia nforce3 mobo working?

> Did you try the 2.4 kernel or the 2.6 kernel for i386?

I tried both. Hell, I tried everything. The thing is I tried this
installation so many times, I forget the details, all I know is that
the network didn't work anyway I tried it. ifconfig couldn't see any
eth interface. I tried to configure everything command line, edit the
interfaces file, the dsl-provider file, etc (I am on ADSL). With one
of the kernels, I forget which one the installer would just take
enormous amounts of time to do simple tasks like format a 300Mb
partition. It would look like it is hung for 15 minutes and then the
little progress indicator would jump from 0% to 33%. Then wait another
15 minutes with no HD access... all work no play akes Jack a dull
boy...

I'll download the amd64 installer and give it a shot.

] You should be able to bootstrap a i386 sarge from the amd64 installer
] and run it with a 64bit kernel, just use the amd64 installer to do half
] the work, read up to partitioning the disk, then spawn a shell and do
] the rest by hand.

But what do you mean, bootstrap 386 with the 64bit kernel? You mean
the 386 programs will run on a 64 bit kernel? And "the rest" means
just setting up the network, and then doing aptitude...? With the
regular, 386 sources.list file pointing to some mirror of the official
sarge repository?

Alex.