[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Kernel panic 2.6.8-9, unable to boot at all



Hello,

Is the driver for the root filesystem device modularized in your kernel?  I 
had the same thing here last week on my systems (Shuttle SN95G5).  The driver 
module supporting the device the root filesystem was on was not being loaded.  
The problem was solved by explicitly adding the module 
to /etc/mkinitrd/modules and rebuilding the initrd image (using a full kernel 
rebuild, I could not get mkinitrd to work for me standalone).  I had to fall 
back to previous kernel I was using (2.6.6) to boot, make these changes, and 
rebuild the kernel.

Hope that helps,
John

On Saturday 30 October 2004 7:18 am, Basri Kanca wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in very deep and hot waters...
>
> I have upgraded my kernel to 2.6.8-9 using synaptic and now
> I am getting kernel panic with:
>
>    pivot-root: no such file or directory
>    sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
>
> I did investigate this as much as I can, and I am led to
> believe that it has something to with the /usr/sbin/mkinitrd
> as explained here:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263169
>
> I did apply the patch --using a Knoppix CD as I am not
> able to login to the box by any other means.
>
> All partitions are on a 3ware 8506 RAID 5 card, and
> I had no problems booting it up until I upgraded my
> kernel to 2.6.8-9 (using synaptic).
>
> I did try any of the follwing 17 (16?) boot options,
> and each time I get the same kernel panic.
>
> I really really would like not to have to re-install
> this machine if it is at all possible --I have spent
> so much time setting it up and configuring numerous
> applications/daemons on it.
>
> I dont have any other amd64 machines that I could --if
> it possibly works-- replace some image in /boot.
>
> I am not even sure whether it might work.
>
> How do I get out of this catch-22?
>
> Could someone help me with this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ray
>
> <===================>
> here is the contents of /mnt/sda1/grub/menu.lst
> <===================>
> # Generated by grubconf-0.5.1
> default=16
> timeout=5
>
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel  (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel  (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel .old
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda1 .old
> initrd  /initrd.img.old
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel .old (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda1 .old single
> initrd  /initrd.img.old
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-amd64-generic (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel  (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel .old
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda1 .old
> initrd  /initrd.img.old
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel .old (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda1 .old single
> initrd  /initrd.img.old
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8-smp
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-k8
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-generic
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-9-amd64-generic (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-9-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-9-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-amd64-generic (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-amd64-generic
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon (recovery mode)
> #:0 <-- type: 0 => linux, 1 => windows, 2 => other
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon root=/dev/sda1 ro single
> initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.7-5-amd64-xeon
> savedefault
> boot
> <===================>

Attachment: pgpJazVdLU9Sp.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: