Problem with USB HD (on a S-ATA HD system)

Hi,

I'm trying to connect an external USB2 hard disk to my Debian box, but I
got the following message as I plug it in:

usb 3-3: new high speed USB device using address 2
usb 3-3: control timeout on ep0out
usb 3-3:  control timeout on ep0out
usb 3-3: device not accepting address 2, error -110
usb 3-3: new high speed USB device using address 3
usb 3-3: control timeout on ep0out
usb 3-3:  control timeout on ep0out
usb 3-3: device not accepting address 3, error -110

I've an AMD64 Debian GNU/Linux box, with a S-ATA hard disk in (if that
matter).
I have no problem in connecting a USB memory stick and mounting it as sdb.

Any suggestion?

    Thank you,

      Davide