Re: kernel 2.8 panic

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:11:12AM +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> A Dijous 02 Setembre 2004 21:03, Kurt Roeckx va escriure:
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:24:02PM +0200, Bibiche wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My Linux kernel 2.8.1 doesn't boot. The three last log lines before panic
> > > are :
> > >
> > > pivot_root : No such file or directory
> > > 2.8.1 /sbin/init : 426 cannot open dev/console : No such file
> > > kernel panic : Attempted to kill init!
> >
> > I think the problem is that you're on an sata disk that used to
> > be named hde and now it called sda.
>
> I think that you are talking about kernel 2.6.x, no? ;-)

I'm talking about 2.6.8(.1), which I assume is what you mean with
2.8.1.  There is no such thing as a 2.8.x kernel yet.  There
isn't even a 2.7 kernel yet.

> My question is about simple. I have installed the i386 version and it has
> detected my sata devices as hdex. However, I have found that you said that
> now the sata devices are naming sdax, as the scsi.
> Which one is better or simple is a different name?
> There's differences betwend the amd64 sata driver and the i386 sata driver?

Are you using the same kernel version using i386 and amd64?  And
the same driver for your sata?  If it's the same version and
driver it should be the same.

Anyway, you really want to use the sda version, hde is now
obsolete.

Kurt