Re: amd64 and sarge

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:27:54PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
>   I must admit I didn't study your proposal closely enough to form an
>  opinion of its technical merits, but as testing base will freeze the
>  day after tomorrow, it isn't very realistic to hope that this modified
>  dpkg will make it.  Thus, the biarch amd64 port won't make it either,
>  leaving Sarge with no amd64 support whatsoever.

At this point, if amd64 makes it into Sarge at all, it's going to be in
a "pre-release" state.  In other words, while it may mostly function it
won't be up to the quality standard of the rest of the system.

That's too bad, but there's not much I can do about it.

>   Your proposal wouldn't be much useful for Sarge+1 either, as the
>  porting team seems to have already decided that multiarch is the
>  way it shall be done.  As I understand it, anyway.

My proposal does not conflict with multiarch.

That said, everybody in debian is going to have to agree to multiarch
before it gets implemented properly.  It's a fairly massive undertaking.

--
Raul