Re: amd64 and sarge

* Raul Miller

 > Bi-arch being less painful than multiarch, in my
 > opinion -- it needs to touch far fewer packages:
 > http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/07/msg00244.html

 > The above url is a proposal which presents a different way
 > of doing biarch.

 > If you'd like to offer specific criticisms of the above
 > proposal, I'd be interested in hearing them.

  Well, the proposal starts like this:

 > [1] modify dpkg, [...]

  I must admit I didn't study your proposal closely enough to form an
 opinion of its technical merits, but as testing base will freeze the
 day after tomorrow, it isn't very realistic to hope that this modified
 dpkg will make it.  Thus, the biarch amd64 port won't make it either,
 leaving Sarge with no amd64 support whatsoever.

  Your proposal wouldn't be much useful for Sarge+1 either, as the
 porting team seems to have already decided that multiarch is the
 way it shall be done.  As I understand it, anyway.

Kind regards,
--
Tore Anderson