Re: Booting, grub & x86_64 kernels.

Chris Wakefield wrote:

| Greetings all.
|
| I have an installation of Debian-amd64, upon which I have compiled
| (a bunch of) kernels.  My problem is that I am trying to get grub
| to boot these new kernels.  It won't.
|
| I've compiled hundreds of kernels on 32 bit that usually worked
| fine.
|
| My x86_64 kernels boot only up to a point, then they fail with the
| messages like:  can't mount root partition ... can't find partition
|  ... initrd.img too big and another that is something like: please
| append a proper "root=" boot option.
|
| Naturally I've compiled a several monolithic kernels and many with
| different module configurations ... point is I've done every darn
| thing I can think of ... even read man pages ... %^)  One
| monolithic booted, but ran so slow, it was useless. I've tried lilo
| as well, no go.
|
| My questions are:  Is there a source I can study that deals with
| booting personally compiled x86_64 kernels with grub ... and ...
| does the 64 bit kernel need an initrd.img to boot?
|
| I have been using Linux-2.6.7 from kernel.org, I have a Asus K8V 1
| gig mem module.
|
| Thank you for any ideas, Chris w.

Chris,
I've compiled a x86_64 kernel and booted it with no problem.  I've
only tried grub, and haven't messed with lilo on this box.  I prefer
not to use an initrd, but that does take special consideration:
Ensure that your IDE drivers and root file system (ReiserFS in my
case) are compiled into the kernel instead of modules.

One other thing to watch for are SATA drives.  If you use the SATA
drivers in the SCSI section your drive(s) will detect under /dev/sdx,
while using the IDE drivers will lead to /dev/hdx.  Be sure that your
root kernel argument reflects your driver choice.  I've ran both, but
haven't done any research into which is better, so for now I use only
the IDE driver with no problem.

Overall, my experience is that running a custom 64bit kerenel is
identical to a 32bit one.  The biggest challenge is figuring out the
hardware on the new mainboards....

Andre