Re: upgrade from testing i386 to amd64

Hi,

> I've managed to find out from the list and google Debian/testing for
> amd64 isn't yet aviable (any plans when it will be?)?

Dunno for sure but it may happen a little while after amd64 gets into sid.
(And when that is going to happen is still unknown unfortunately.)

> What would be the best for me to upgrade to Opetron not risking any
> software incompatibilities. Can I run testing for i386 on amd64 system?

Yes. I'm currently running an i386 install besides a pure64 install.

> Are there any problems I may enounter?

With i386 on an amd64 system any problem encountered is probably also a
problem on a real i386 system.
Do note that(AFAIK) you won't be able to use the extra registers, memory
address space and NX-bit in i386-mode.
An upgrade to amd64 later on will likely require some handywork on your
side. No automation of that process is planned AFAIK.

If you're going the amd64 way directly then it all depends on what
software you want to use. Almost all software available in Debian for i386
also compiles for amd64.  That does not mean that everything runs ok
though; most browsers and subversion have some problems reported.
Also, if you plan on using any proprietary software you should check if
there is a version for amd64 available.

hth,
Thomas