Re: Nforce3-Ultra compatibility

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:18:52PM +0300, Kyuu Eturautti wrote:
> I did my best to search the list archives, motherboard support list and
> Google for this, but the only thing I found was that nvidia "promised full
> Linux support" for the nForce3 250/ultra chipset series. Knowing the value
> of nvidia's promises, it seemed worthwhile to check.
>
> Does anyone have experiences with the nForce3 250Gb/Ultra chipsets and
> Linux in general and/or Debian-AMD64. Basically the points of interest are
> S/ATA and Ethernet functionality.

I'm not a debianuser myself, but I can share my thoughts so far:

Kernelpatch to get the network up and going:

http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/linux/patches/forcedeth/

ATA/SATA is in the kernel already afaik, I don't use the sata, but I do get
"nForce3 sata found" when booting.
"Normal" ATA-support has good performance, and gave me no worries.

Built-in sound on the K8N Platinum didn't work for me so far, but I guess
that's me messing up somewhere since they claim AC97 compatability.

( http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703494&cat_id=77 )

And, yes; nVidia have drivers on their homepage, but I failed to compile
it against 2.6 kernel.

--
Christian Langeland
christian@langeland.net