RE: Trouble with installation

I never saw the original question, but ...

> just fails to continue with a very non-informative "Installation of
> the base system failed" message.

The three from-scratch installs of pure64 that I've done were
(a) using the DFS cdrom image
(b) using cdebootstrap from under Knoppix
(c) using John's pure64 tarball many months ago

They all worked and the installers themselves didn't give me any trouble.
However, due to a bunch of wierd hardware (from my point of view) and broken
ACPI (from the kernel's point of view), actually getting the the linux
binary itself to start up and see the network was hard.

>From that point of view, the most painless was obviously (c) because I
already had a running 32 bit system to install from and compare with - but
that's cheating.  Other than that, I'd say that (b) is the most flexible
because knoppix's boot time and run time configurability you can deal with
most hardware issues.

However, I do recommend you try the DFS image, if only because you haven't
listed it in your message ...

Alex.