* Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) wrote:
> > > The no-cost linux downloads from kx.com and jsoftware.com are the ones
> > > I'm most concerned about (in that order).
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:06:23PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Alright, perhaps we can get some of the debian-amd64 folks to give it a
> > whirl and see if they can't figure something out about it.  Possibly
> > even help find a way to make them run.  I may try and look at these
> > tommorow myself too.
> >
> > How about it folks?
>
> Note that these are binaries, so porting them is out.  However, they
> run fine on 32bit intel LSB systems.

Well, certainly, I had assumed that to be the case.

> If you're going to this effort anyways: there's a known bug in
> k (mentioned in the release notes, but possible to overlook).
> The workaround is to turn on backing store in the x server.

Hmm, alright.

> Final note: there's a gpl'd version of a precursor to k (by the same
> author) at www.aplusdev.org.  It's no where near as efficient, nor as
> capable, and I'll package it up eventually if no one else gets around to
> it, but that might be more to someone's taste.  [It's four times as big,
> an order of magnitude slower, and way less functional, and requires a
> special font to be useful at all, so you have to run it in an x terminal
> with that font, just to read the code.  But the license is right.]

That's, erm, interesting.  My intent wasn't to try to actually port the
package but just try to get the binary running using ia32-libs.  Then,
if that didn't work right off, to try to figure out what libraries it's
missing (if that's the case) or what the problem is in general.  The
next step would be to see if we can then resolve those problems.  I have
to admit that I didn't realize one of the binaries had X calls...  I
expect that will make it more difficult.  Perhaps I missed it, but were
there X calls in the function list you provided previously?

	Stephen