Re: Trouble with installation

> On Thursday 15 Jul 2004 16:28, Ronny Wikh wrote:
>> However, from there on it just won't budge. I've created a root, home,
>> swap and usr partiion
>> which get mounted on /target (verified in the terminal window) as they
>> should, but the installer
>> just fails to continue with a very non-informative "Installation of the
>> base system failed" message.
>> No matter what I do, even in desperation removing both software and
>> hardware RAID (yes, and
>> even moving the cables on the motherboard to the non-raid SATA slots)
>> and using a single disk
>> fails to go beyond this step. I'm considering giving up and installing
>> a 32-bit system, but I'd really
>> love to find a solution for the 64-bit system.
>>
>> Any advice would be much appreciated,
>>
> Probably a stab in the dark...   but have you tried using LILO instead of
> grub?   I've always found LILO to be more reliable when installing Debian.

According to the AMD64-FAQ, LILO is broken on AMD64.
Root on LVM also has some problems, but I recently saw a post on
debian-boot from someone who managed to get root on LVM on software-RAID
working.

>From the rest of the story I get the impression you are using the netinst
image from alioth. I got the same problem WRT installing base system not
working.
Try the netboot image, that did work for me. It is also about 11 days more
recent and probably a whole lot better in several other areas as well.
(I used the 20040711 version but I guess the more recent ones will also
work out ok.)

HTH
Thomas