netboot 20040711 getting quite good (Was: Re: installation report: 20040706 images broken)

>> "Thomas J. Zeeman" <tjzeeman@xs4all.nl> writes:
>>
>>> I'll try again this weekend if there are new images available.
>
> I tried again with the 20040709 netboot image and that installed ok.

Tried again this evening and I'ld like to thank the person who's working
fast on this. The images are getting better every day :)

> Two things were annoying:
>
> - only 1 other install on the machine was recognised; another (i386 IIRC
> [0]) install of debian on hde4. My main installation (i386, 2.6 kernel of
> debian) on hde3 and a windows xp (32-bit) on hde1 were not recognised.

This one is partially solved. Two Debian/Linux partitions were recognised
(out of 2 on the disk, besides pure 64). Windows didn't get recognised,
but without an ntfs module that may be a bit too much to ask.
Maybe it also needs a windows-boot-prober script (besides the available
linux-boot-prober), but I'm not that familiar with the workings of
debian-installer.

> - LVM didn't work in the installer.

Working ok now. Only missing LVM-on-root but that needs support from the
D-I team first. (And despite messages claiming this feature was done it
appears that it is not.)

Looking forward to going over to pure64 RSN. With the pace it is going
right now, that may be possible before I've got time to do that switch ;)

Only got to dump the lousy Matrox for a card that actually has linux
support. Anyone here got some recommendations for a fanless card with
actually *working* linux drivers, preferably 2.6 and amd64 capable?
I was thinking an MSI FX5500, but maybe someone here can tell me how it
compares with Ati based cards? Compatibility wise that is, both oss and
binary-only drivers. Or something completely different, but S3 and XGI
seem to be even behind Matrox on this 'linux thing'.
As long as it can do a little 3d to play a few games (Civ 3 and C&C zero
hour are the most heavy of those) through wine I'm happy. I'm mostly doing
dev-work on it.

regards,
Thomas