Re: gcc 3.4 as default.

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:22:22AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked again if we want to use gcc 3.4 as default on
> amd64 or stick with 3.3.
>
> The 3.3 version has some problems that are fixed in the 3.4
> version.  It should also generate faster code for us.
>
> It shouldn't be a problem for us being the only one in sid/sarge
> to use it since it has been done before.
>
> The only argument I know against using it is that it might break
> more applications because it has better support for C++ and now
> fails to compile thing that might have worked with previous
> version.  I've been told that kde for instance has a problem with
> it but that should be fixed in the next version which I've heard
> is going to be available in a few weeks.
>
> Does anybody have any good reasons not to use gcc 3.4?

It would probably be a good idea to swtich to gcc 3.4 since there
appears to be an issue with binary compatibility between 3.3 and 3.4
on some fp code mentioned in the release notes. As well 3.4 will likely
be faster on amd64 since it has a lot more tweaks for the arch.

As you mention kde 3.2 likely won't work as is with gcc 3.4 but KDE 3.3
is expected to be fine and is supposed to be released to packagers
around August 7. It is possible it will break other c++ code, so we may
want to try it out in separate repo to shake out all the bugs.

Chris