Re: gcc 3.4 as default.

Might this be the cause for certain applications like xine to take much more CPU on pure64 when playing mpeg streams (from a DVD, for example)?

On this same machine (Athlon64 3400+), running debian i386, xine doesn't ususally show more than 1 or 2% CPU use on top. On pure64 it goes up to 30 or 40%, despite the fact that it is using the same settings (XV hardware scalling) as debian i386.

Furthermore, I built mplayer from the source and noticed a very similar increase in CPU consumption, when playing the same files I used to play with i386 binaries.
MPlayer and Xine (which I believe share a lot of source) are heavily optimized for most x86 processors, and the athlon64 can make use of most or all of these optimizations. At this point, many of the optimizations are disabled at configure/compile time when it detects a 64bit environment. AFAIK. But I'm only seeing 5-10% cpu usage on my opteron 240.