Re: [x86-64] Re: AMD64 and lib64

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 01:41:27PM -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Chris Cheney wrote:
>
> > Something that you also fail to mention that I don't see mentioned yet
> > in this thread is this.
>
> just because it's not in this thread doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed
> ad infiniteum on this list (as you surely know).
>
> > If you notice "lib64" archs aren't for the most part supported in
> > Debian or for that matter in other dists either.
>
> I beg to differ.  Most non-debian MIPS distributions support all *three* of
> /lib, /lib32, and /lib64, for example.  RedHat sparc (while it
> was an official product) definitely supported /lib and /lib64.  Etc Etc.

Which dists support MIPS other than Debian? I have not noticed any
myself. Did Redhat sparc support /lib64 in general or just very
specific cases like Debian does (eg glibc and thats about it)... From
what I have heard with multiarch it is planned that all libs will be
supported on all platforms so that it will be trivial to recompile apps
for that arch.

> > installing into either lib/lib64. Instead multiarch was seen as a better
> > solution to implement since it deals with other cases such as mips
> > having three subarchs, etc.
>
> sure, sure.  the problem is that debian packaging tools were broken.
> granted.

They are broken to the extent you have to tell them where the packages
are... ;) In every case but amd64 libs are in /lib. There are a few
cases like glibc where some archs support a 64bit version as well but
there are very few libraries like that.

> For the record, I think that the 'pure64' approach was definitely the
> right one, as it restarted development which had been stalled by dpkg
> issues.  But I would hope that compatibility with the rest of the linux
> world is kept in mind as we look to the future, instead of just dismissing
> accepted standards as some "wart of history".

Multiarch plans to have symlinks from the legacy dirs to the new
multiarch dirs, afaik. So there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Chris