Re: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

Am So, den 04.07.2004 schrieb Peter Cordes um 2:28:

> The sticking point is whether the CPU<->RAM traces are up to
> running at faster speeds.  (and that DDRII might change everything,
but
> assume they make faster Athlon64s with DDR 2*266MHz RAM.)  If it's not
going
> to be useful, there's not much need to worry about being able to
upgrade the
> CPU, so the cheaper socket 754 should be fine, and give you pretty
much the
> same value.

How often are you upgrading? It's not only RAM that's about to change,
there will also be other things like PCI-Express. The only time that I
kept a MB when upgrading the CPU was when switching from a 486-DX4 to a
K6-200. I wouldn't care about upgradability if you're not going to do it
in the next 12-18 month or so. To get a DDR2 and PCI-Express capable MB
together with the RAM and video card etc. and only upgrade the CPU later
will almost certainly be more expensive then replacing ut all later,
when it's established on the markets and prices have dropped from their
initially high values. And also, less compatibility (and teething)
problems are to be expected then. Just don't worry about that and get a
good valued system with which you are happy NOW.

All the best
Bastian