Re: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 09:28:01PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
>  Yeah, I knew they used the same socket, and also had the impression that
> they're compatible with the same mobos.  What I really don't know (but am
> wondering about) is what the difference between an Opteron 1xx and an
> Athlon64 FX is. Is the silicon inside them identical?

I'm not sure what if any differences the S940 Athlon64 FX has vs a
Opteron 1xx. There is currently only one model Athlon64 FX shipping the
FX-53. Most if not all UP S940 boards seem to support both the Opteron
1xx and the Athlon64 FX.

>  And nobody answered my other question, about whether a socket 939 mobo
> bought tomorrow will be useful with a CPU and RAM bought two or three
> years from now.  If you don't need an I/O monster, the current HT link speed
> is adequate.  The sticking point is whether the CPU<->RAM traces are up to
> running at faster speeds.  (and that DDRII might change everything, but
> assume they make faster Athlon64s with DDR 2*266MHz RAM.)  If it's not going
> to be useful, there's not much need to worry about being able to upgrade the
> CPU, so the cheaper socket 754 should be fine, and give you pretty much the
> same value.

No one can guarantee how long AMD will stick with S939, however they
will be using DDR2 in at least some of their chips by 2H05. From the
rumors I have read the Athlon64 FX 'Toledo' released in 2H05 will use
Socket 900 and DDR2. The current AMD roadmap shows Athlon64 'Winchester'
being released soon and will be used through the end of 2H05 at least
which seems to indicate regular Athlon64 won't use DDR2 until 2006 at
the earliest. Or perhaps it will be considered a value model once
'Toledo' comes out since 'Toldeo' will be dual core. Past that its all
speculation and AMD itself not even have plans past 2005 yet. I doubt
AMD will release mainstream chips using DDR2 until its price drops,
since it is still roughly double the price of DDR.

Chris