Re: [debian-amd64] Re: Re: Silicon Image SATA?

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> mike <mike@mike2k.com> writes:
>
> > To add on to this question - why isn't there a full install CD, loaded
> > with everything possible and multiple kernels that should cover everyone's
> > needs, instead of these very minimal install CDs that can get pretty
> > limiting depending on the hardware situation...? there's 650 reliable
> > megabytes that can be used.
> >
> > just my two cents.
>
> Because of our limited time and upload speeds.
>
> If you like you can get yourself familiar with debian-cd and produce a
> daily build full cd and upload that to alioth.
>
> Personaly I find it useless. People that can download 650MB iso images
> can also install debian over the network once base is there.
>
> MfG
>         Goswin

however if you can't install base properly because of some limited driver
issues, you're SOL... which was my point.

i didn't necessarily mean replace netinst with a full image, but providing
an image for those who don't care about downloading more up front and
having more utils and drivers at their fingertips wouldn't hurt. i'd
volunteer myself for the job but i don't have a test machine for it
anymore nor would cover all my bases properly (i failed trying to make a
2.6.7 boot CD so my 3ware 9000 raid card would be detected properly)