Is AMD64 for me?

I need to make another computer this summer, and am seriously
considering getting an AMD64 machine.  I've been using Debian on my
desktop for a few years, but I am not an expert by any measure; thus
my worry is that I'm not an experienced enough user to handle Debian
on AMD64.

My needs are fairly simple.  I need to be able to run programs like:
vim, latex, mutt, x, mozilla, cdrecord, acrobat reader, gnumeric,
gimp, etc.  I have seldom compiled my own programs, and tend to just
use what can easily be gotten through Debian.

Since I use this machine for work, I need to have it working by
sometime in August.  I realize that progress is being made rapidly on
the AMD64 port, and was wondering if folks on this list thought it
would be suitable for an ordinary user like me now, or if I should
wait until August, or if I should wait even longer.  I'm concerned
that I could get myself into a situation in which I simply can't get
the machine to work with Debian.

(I was thinking about getting an ASUS K8V SE motherboard, along with a
Athalon 64 3000; If there is any known problem with this and Debian,
please let me know.)

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Ric