DFS Install report

I recently used the Debian From Scratch CD to install pure64 on my new box.

Athlon 64 3000+
Foxconn 755 motherboard
ATI Radeon 9200

Everything worked great, I was even able to get X working without much work. The only problem I had was with gnome. Since DFS did not set up the /etc/network/interfaces file, I forgot to add
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Without the loopback device set up, gnome would hang while starting (I wouldn't get a panel or nautilus or anything). I guess gnome must use the loopback device to connect to the bonobo-application-server process. But once I added those lines to my interfaces file, everything worked great. Perhaps a reminder like this should be added to the documentation?

I have not gotten dri acceleration working yet... has there been any success in this area? Suppose I have to compile my own kernel.

Lastly, when partitioning, since I have an 80G disk, I left a blank 10G partition. I am planning on trying D-I on that partition sometime soon.

John