Re: nVidia drivers for amd64 [repost]

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:43:02PM -0400, Bharath Ramesh wrote:
> I have a nVidia GeForce FX5700 card. I wanted to know if anybody got the
> nvidia drivers working for it in 2.6 kernel. I had earlier tried to do
> it but my computer would just freeze. I used the patched driver from
> http://minion.de/nvidia.html

This topic is covered in the howto at
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/1314/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id258163

In short, 2.6.5 and latest nvidia drivers for amd64 do work.

Recent kernels (I tested all -mm and -rc up to 2.6.7-rc2, too) do either hang
the system or instantly reboot on X11 startup, with Nvidia drivers
enabled. The reboots occur when apic and lapic are activated.

For SMP systems, I don't know. If someone has the time to figure this
out, feel free to post the results here so they can be added to the
HOWTO.

Greetings
Frederik Schueler

--