Re: unable to handle kernel paging request problems on an Athlon 64

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 04:39:04AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Could you install the prebuild kernel-image from alioth? Maybe you had
> a broken gcc installed while you compiled the kernel or something. If
> that shows no change broken hardware sounds very likey.
>
> If dpkg keeps crashing at the same spot every time its a dpkg bug. If
> it (and others) crash at random places with the same input its almost
> always a hardware thing.
>
> How long did you let memtest86 run? Let it run over night or a few
> days.

I would recommend running memtest86 for 12-24hr then if you have windows
run prime95 in burn in mode for at least 12-24 hours as well. If it
passes both then the system should be ok. I've personally seen systems
that pass memtest86 that still fail prime95 and have other problems.
However, I've never seen a system that could pass prime95 for several
hours that had problems running normal software. There is a linux
version of prime as well called mprime but I have not tried it out yet.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Chris