Re: New amd64 Debian-installer cdrom iso image

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have updated the sid-amd64-cdrom.iso on alioth to the latest D-I
>> images, debs and udebs from alioth including a fixed sid console-data.
>
> I suppose that testing it on an already installed machine is not
> "dangerous" ? No risk of breaking an existing installation of another
> Linux distribution ? I think we have some AMD64 machines here and thus
> I could try some tests.

The partitioner will ask you if you want to erase the disk completly
or manually partition (default the first). Thats the most dangerous
part along with partitioning/formating.

And then installing the bootloader will overwrite your old one. In
case it doesn't detect all your existing OSes (it did detect my other
debian on the same disk) or otherwise messes up you might need a
rescue floppy/cd to get your OS back.

Apart from that nothing else _should_ happen. Some risk remains. If
you have valuable data on the disk better make a backup first or
replace the disk with an empty one for the test.

MfG
        Goswin