Re: Installation report

<snip: keyboard problem>

Known problem. It also exists in the finished installation but there
one can choose a keyboard from the full list. For us german people
using an en keyboard is not that big of a deal for installing. I gues
for a french keyboard its more difficult.

no, no big deal either, I've worked in qwerty countries and I know the layout...

however, having a keyboard selection menu with no entries is most certainly a bug, and as such had to be reported. I havn't tested the lates i386 installer, so I have no idea where this error comes from...

and yes, the second time it offered to choose a keyboard (after initial reboot) the french keyboard was there

<snip: default mirror on alioth>

Maybe we should patch the udeb to default to that. Also do you mean
unstable instead of testing? There is no testing on alioth.

it might be a good idea as long as amd64 isn't an official port...

and yes, I meant unstable, sorry

<snip: GRUB problems>

Grub is a bit of a problem to build on amd64. We have a grub for amd64
thats build on i386 and statically linked to run on amd64. There was a
problem with the Packages file not listing the amd64 package since
dpkg-scanpackages rejected it in favour of the i386 package of the
same version. That has been solved now and installing grub should
work again.

OK, I'll try again this WE... I'll tell you if it worked better.

<snip: network configuration problems>

I experienced the same problem. /etc/network/interfaces doesn't get
written by the installer.
yup, exactly, I had to write it myself after the installation...
note that dhclient was properly installed. I really have to test the i386 installer to see if the problem is upstream...

<snip: tasksel problem>

Uhoh. Hmmm. The sid Packages file contains a "Task: foobar" entry on
each package belonging to a task. The Packages file on alioth has non
of those. I have to look into where sid gets those "Task: foobar"
entries in the first place. Its something that has to be fixed in the
alioth archive.

yes, thanks... even if tasksel is really not fine grained, it makes installing the basics much simpler....

One last question... I've left the /etc/apt/sources.list at it's
default, that is alioth/unstable. are there other sources I need to
add by hand, other things I should be aware of ?

Same url but with deb-src if you want the sources too.

that was added by the installer itself. but thanks anyway.
my question was about other tacit sources, but apparently there are none. good

Testing is always welcome. You should coordinate the tests with Kurt
Roeckx (or watch the md5sum of the files) so you are not tetsing the
same thing twice.

installer needs much more than two people testing it :)

but yes, I'll try to reintall from time to time to test it more as new images are generated...

thx for the help.