Re: intel 64-bit extension (was: Support now in dpkg)

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 03:57:02PM +0100, Matt Kay wrote:
> Plus I thought the Intel 64-bit Prescott extensions weren't going to
> be entirely compatible?

Are the differences worth taking into account?  As announced, the
instruction sets are ``identical'' enough that a single binary can run
on both.  Does anyone envision a path forward where Debian
differentiated between the two architectures, i.e., have separate ports
for each?

> In this case, company-specific extensions are essential.

Not to mention, AMD has fallen under i386 for years.  Why not have the
tables turned now?

dd
--
David Dooling