Re: Amd64 status

rkrishnan@symonds.net (Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan) writes:

>  || On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:39:19 +0200
>  || Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> wrote:
>
>  q> An autobuilder would be nice.  I'll probably get an amd64 box at
>  q> the colo site where I could set it up.  The autobuilder would of
>  q> course require someone to look at all those build logs and take
>  q> the right actions.
>
>  q> I never had any problems with gcc.  It's rather easy to build it
>  q> too, just need to change a few things for pure64 and it works.
>  q> Note that gcc is one of those packages that doesn't show up
>  q> because of the problems with debpool.
>
>  q> I even compiled gcc-3.4 from experimental which also seems to
>  q> work without much problems, but I didn't really do much with it
>  q> yet.
>
> It will be great, if you guys can put up a short document on how to setup
> a pure64 Debian from scratch. I have seen the howto on alioth, may be if
> you can update that to include pure64 info, it will be really great. I
> think there are more people interested in pure64 port right now than a
> biarch solution.

Preferably (my opinion) it should be split three ways:

1. Common problems
2. Installing biarch and biarch problems
3. Installing pure64 and pure64 problems

(2/3 should be ordered by what works best currently)

The common problems could have references into 2 and 3 like "How do I
install Debian amd64 and what options do I have?" that would briefly
explain the two flavours and link to 2 and 3 respectively.

> I have with me a brand-new Athlon64 and am planning to buy the rest of the
> stuff to put together a new box real soon, and would like to help with the
> port.

Lucky you.

MfG
        Goswin