Debian Dual Opteron Support

    Hello, I am in a bit of a predicament.  I use Debian on all my servers but I have been hearing about Debian not so good 64bit support.  Hence I might be forced to use Suse.  However, if there is any way possible without doing too much work (ex. Hacks that I won't remember I did and one day when I upgrade the system it will break), I would like to use Debian on a Dual Opteron machine and have mysql run in 64bit mode.  The machine will only run mysql and it will need to access small amounts of information very quickly.  I would like to take advantage of the 64 bit.  If i can not, I guess I can either run Suse or run Debian in 32bit mode.

Is it just a matter of installing the 2.6 kernel with 64bit support and downloading the mysql 64bit binares from mysql.com?
Or would I need to change libraries.
Normally I love to tinker around with systems but this server is going to be a production one after everything works okay.

Please advise,
Thanks!

Here are the specs:

1x Chenbro RM214 2U Opteron w/Ultra 320 SCSI backplane w/460W (1+1)
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=100720

2x AMD Opteron Model 244, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-397&depa=0

1x Tyan Thunder K8S Pro S2882 AMD-8131 AMD Opteron DDR E-ATX Server Board w/Video, 10/100 & Dual GbE LAN, Serial ATA Retail
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110229&Category_Code=OMB

1x LSI 64-bit PCI to Ultra320 single-channel SCSI Storage
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-118-014&depa=0

1x CDROM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-120-501&depa=0

1x Floppy:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=21-103-202&depa=0

5x Fujitsu MAS Series MAS3367NC 36.7GB 80pin U320-SCSI
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100100

2x 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (400) PC-3200 REG ECC Corsair (TWINX2048RE-3200)
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140258&Category_Code=REG_Corsair