Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 09:52:37AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> At the present time, I have trouble on the Alpha with only two apps:
> konqueror and openoffice.  Konqueror may be a problem unrelated to
> porting.  OpenOffice is rumored to not be 64-bit clean right now, but
> the OO.o people are apparently hard at work fixing this.  Fixing it for
> one arch should get it fixed for all.

You are unlikely to ever see OOo on your Alpha. OpenOffice is not a
portable application. It can be ported, but it is highly nonportable
compared to most other free software applications.  See
http://www.linuxsa.org.au/mailing-list/2002-07/655.html for an old but
still-valid set of comments.  (I run an Alpha as one of my desktop
systems too.)

> now; it was first an officially released arch with slink (2.1).  I do
> not have fears that any random package I install will have 64-bit
> issues.  The occasional 64-bit issue does still crop up, but by and
> large, it is quite rare today.

Gnucash :-)

> 64-bit platforms have been a part of Linux for a *long* time.  Linux
> supports five different 64-bit platforms (Alpha, IA-64, AMD64, PPC64,
> and Sparc64); Debian has ports in-tree for Alpha and IA-64, with Alpha
> having been officially released almost five years ago and in-tree for
> at least seven years (not sure exactly when that happened).

Agreed.

--
Dan Shearer
dan@shearer.org