INIT problems continue

I'm still having no luck getting an AMD64 kernel running with anything
even approaching stability.

I'm still getting, among other things, 'INIT: error reading initrequest'
errors on the console, from just about every /etc/init.d/* script.

I have a question about sysvinit.  There's an amd64 build of sysvinit
in the alioth apt archive, but when the 64 bit debs are installed
in a chroot, this won't run, correct?  Are there any known problem running
the i386 sysvinit under a 64-bit kernel?

Also, in general, is there a way to force apt to install an amd64
package?  The problem is that the i386 Debian package repository
packages frequently have higher version numbers than the amd64
equivalents, so even if the debian-amd64.alioth apt source is listed
before the regular Debian apt source, those packages are ignored.
(Sorry if this is a FAQ.)

Eric