Re: Loader Magic

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> Like, if im running a dual 32/64 system, /lib64 makes sense, but if i'm
> not, then I would want everything in /lib... but the package can only
> put stuff in one place or the other. =/ So, we're stuck with /lib64,
> which I think is ugly, Until the End Of Time.

The linux standard base and the filesystem standards clearly specify that
/lib is used for the 'default' libraries for the platform, and that
/lib<foo> are used for platform-specific alternate libraries.  So
/lib64 is *not* going to persist indefinitely.

It's really pointless arguing over this here; debian has a responsibility
to follow the appropriate standards.  You should take up your arguments
with the standards groups instead.
 --scott

quiche AP explosives fissionable planning C4 SLBM North Korea Qaddafi
Saddam Hussein Rule Psix BATF direct action WTO Moscow Yakima counter-intelligence
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )