RE: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:20, marc.miller@amd.com wrote:
> "One more important problem is that that attempt would
> prevent us from getting a clean upgrade path to the
> correct solution."
>
> Well... maybe.  Is there any way that both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Debian could be installed on the same system, each unaware of the other and believing that they're in their own little world?  There must be some way around 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same package creating conflicts.

That'd be a solution, but that way you would be able to run 64-bit
applications in 64-bit mode and 32-bit applications in 32-bit mode -
which'd require to boot 32-bit Debian.
Or did I not get you right, if you'd have to install Debian twice than
wouldn't it be easier to just have to install the libs for 32-bit and
64-bit mode separately?

Martin