How to port a library package to amd64?

A while ago I've started a page on the Debian WiKi to capture common
stuff related to the amd64 port [1].  Recently the IRC folk have started
collecting questions and answers there.  Whenever something useful gets
asked and answered on IRC, someone will (or at least should) add it to
the FAQ [2].  I hope that the better questions will eventually be
captured by KMR or Nate into the official FAQ on alioth.

[1] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?debian-amd64
[2] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?debian-amd64-faq

Anyway I've just added a question I've been asked about a dozen times
now (see subject).  I hope it will help some keen individuals that want
to start porting their favorite libs to amd64.

[ Arnd, I would appreciate a quick read from you.  Feel free to fix any
mistakes I've made. ]

Happy porting.

Cheers,
Bart.