Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19

On 4/21/20 7:59 PM, Witold Baryluk wrote:
>>> It should be relatively easy to put it there manually (unpack,
>>> repack), or fix the iso build scripts to include it too.
>> debian-installer does not use a kernel package, it boots the bare kernel image
>> and loads additional modules either from the initial ramdisk or module udebs
>> such as "ata-modules-5.5.0-2-alpha".
>>
>> Compiling the module into the kernel is surely the easiest approach.
>
> Yes, I know. I am just saying where one can get compatible module in
> case somebody wants to get the floppy.ko manually and use it. I did
> say it is not in the initrd or in the udeb, so obviously it is not
> working now. We all know that.

You talked about unpacking and repacking the kernel package and also modifying
the ISO build scripts to include the floppy module which what I was answering
to.

There is one official way of getting a module into debian-installer and those
are udebs, whether you are creating a netboot image or an installation CD
does not make a difference as both the netboot and the CD images for debian-installer
just differ in their initrds. The former has more network drivers udebs included
in the initrd while the CD installer initrd has more storage driver udebs
included.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz