Re: current toolchain on Alpha is crap?

On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 07:47:55PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Well, maybe the subject line is a bit over the top, but there's either
> an element of truth to it, or the kernel developers have seriously
> screwed things up in a fundamental way for kernels on Alpha after 4.9.
>
> Both my 4.10 and recent 4.11-rc5 builds fail to boot/run properly.

I haven't tried 4.10 yet.  I'm still running 4.9 and admittedly have
a number of patches applied to upstream, two of which are to fix
relocation errors at link time, but I think you are already aware of
those patches.

>  That being
> said, a kernel build on the PWS-433au is an overnight-plus-a-bit-longer
> proposition that I'd like to avoid if there's another way to figure out
> what's going on.

Install the alpha cross-compiler on an amd64 machine.  I have
gcc-6-alpha-linux-gnu installed and can build an alpha kernel in
three minutes or so.

Cheers
Michael