Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

Johannes Schauer wrote:
Until these two issues are fixed we will not be able to get an algorithmic
answer to the question of what constitutes the minimum required set of
packages.
There is also the complication of what I will call "non-key self building compilers". fpc is an example

These are not needed to bootstrap the core of debian but if one wants to bootstrap all of debian they will need to be built. Since the only way to build them is with themselves they cannot be bootstrapped natively even with the help of build profiles. So the only way to bootstrap them is to either cross-build them or start with a binary from upstream.