Re: new video card (was Re: USB cards for PWS 433au)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 06:57:06PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> (...)
> On the original subject of USB cards, it turns out my other USB card is
> simply a later revision of the same VIA card that doesn't work, and the
> later rev doesn't work either.  Time to go find a NEC chipset USB card.

Found one for US$7.99 with free shipping.  Finally backing up my Alpha
as I type this.

Based on my experience and that of everyone who has commented, if you
want USB on an Alpha, it pretty much has to be built around the NEC
chipset.  VIA works well in the x86 systems I've tried, but not at all
in my Alpha.  ALI loses all around: their chipsets are problematic even
in MS-Win boxes.

Thanks for the input!
--Bob