From: Robert Garron [mailto:Robert.Garron@access3000.net]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 10:38 AM
To: Phil Carmody
Cc: Michael Cree; Robert Garron; aba@not.so.argh.org; aloiret@debian.org;
debian-alpha@lists.debian.org; cpp@ekkaia.net; gandano@gmail.com; Rafael
Ruiz; Bill.Parke@access3000.net; Richard Holstein; joel@pyramiddec.com
Subject: Re: current status of alpha in squeeze

Hi Phil-

Well happy to connect with you.  I agree we will have to move swiftly to get

Alpha back in with Debian...

All I need is direction as to what to do, when to do (now), and who to
contact
(our growing list - but who in Debian land to contact).  I do appreciate
your provided list of contacts - I hope they all respond to our call to have

Alpha Squeeze...

As to the firmware issue you mentioned below, I happen to have in my group a

few DEC employees (cc'ed also) and a contact who works with Alpha hardware.

>From your note below I will shoot out a question about how hard it is to
update the firmware if needed?

The company that can do almost anything with Alpha's is Pyramid Technology
Services.  They have Alpha experts with storage knowledge and they have the
ability to change 36 gig drives to 300 gig and possibly to the new 4 meg
cache tera byte drive...   I was (and will) going to use them for a project
that has been in stasis for a year now... Anyway, this same company may have

the ability to update firmware? Without asking Joel we will never know...
So,
I will cc Joel on this e-mail and call him to fill him in to see what he has

to say -- With firmware upgrade, you may have to pay him/his company for the

time, but without asking the status we would never know if they could even
perform the task...  I know if any Alpha users need hardware support,
replacement parts, and repairs - Joel's company is the place to call.  Joel
has the ability to frankly build almost anything... {Joel you are getting
free marketing here :) }

Anyway, What should our next steps be?

What my group has to offer a Debian Alpha group is:
Three (3) almost fully loaded working 4100's with HSC's and fully loaded
bays.
Five (5) 2100's and one (1) DS20 (older model, unfortunately the motherboard

has an issue that has not been fixed yet - Joel's company can fix this -- we

just have not done it yet)
and another ~10 Alpha's of various sorts.  The above are the real working
units.

Plan - I guess we need to finalize the list of people who can help, exchange

contacts, setup systems to perform the work, and ask Debian if they can
provided all of the past tools they have used to create a release... Maybe
Debian can provide a CD with a HowTo to setup a distro creation environment?
We can mount that so our new group can have full access.  I guess we should
also setup git or subversion for source code control etc... I am probably
getting ahead of myself here as the group should decide how to proceed upon
its formation...

Please advise all and you can send contact info to:
ops@Access3000.net or directly to me -
Robert.Garron@Access3000.net

I look forward to working with all of you to achieve this goal.
Regards,
Robert