Re: problem compiling kernel ld error relocation truncated to fit: GPREL16 against symbol

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Raúl Porcel <armin76@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 01:43 AM, Michael Cree wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Is there anyone more knowledgeable than I about gcc who can give us
>> guidance as to why gcc-4.6 should be enlarging the data segment so much
>> that the small data model cannot be used?  Or is there a fix required in
>> the kernel code?
>
> Guess Uros can help here...

Unfortunately, I have no idea... There are similar problems with gcc
build, so I use:

# Prevent GPREL16 relocation truncation
LDFLAGS += -Wl,--no-relax
BOOT_LDFLAGS += -Wl,--no-relax

to finish the bootstrap. IMO, this points to linker problems.

Perhaps rth (CC'd) can say something about this problem.

Uros.