Re: ghostscript packages for Alpha

On 22/07/11 04:04, Bob Tracy wrote:
> So...  As it turns out, printing on my alpha has been broken for a
> while.  Tracing back through the logs, the root cause is a missing
> "gs_init.ps" file, which really isn't missing: there's a version
> mismatch between the package providing the file, and the package needing
> the file.

Without autobuilders for alpha no alpha specific packages have been
built, but architecture all packages are still being uploaded to the
alpha distribution.  The upshot is that data files for many packages
conflict with the package with the Alpha executables.

> Here are the relevant packages and versions as currently
> installed on my alpha:
>
> ii  ghostscript                                 9.01~dfsg-2                       interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF
> ii  ghostscript-cups                            9.01~dfsg-2                       interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF - CUPS filters
> ii  ghostscript-x                               9.01~dfsg-2                       interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF - X11 support
> ii  gs-common                                   9.02~dfsg-3                       Transitional dummy package for ghostscript
> ii  libgs9                                      9.01~dfsg-2                       interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF - Library
> ii  libgs9-common                               9.02~dfsg-3                       interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF - common files
>
> To get things working, I need to upgrade all the "9.01~dfsg-2" packages
> to "9.02~dfsg-3", or downgrade the "9.02~dfsg-3" packages (not really an
> appropriate option -- *always* go forward).

Which is currently very difficult to do :-(

But there is good news:  The Alpha autobuilder network is coming up.  We
have one build daemon running and Alpha packages are being built again!
 Hopefully we can add more Alpha build daemons soon.

I wouldn't attempt an upgrade of your system just yet.  Might be best to
wait until we get eglibc (hence libc6.1 and friends) built which might
take a bit of effort since I am expecting the build of eglibc to fail
due to an out-of-date kernel on the build daemon.

With regards ghostscript I see that it is in the bd-uninstallable list,
i.e., it cannot be built as the building of ghostscript depends on a
newer version of fontconfig.  Fortunately fontconfig is in the
needs-build list so can be built.  I don't have much idea how long it
will take.

> Just to make sure I'm looking for packages in the correct places, could
> someone please post a sample "/etc/apt/sources.list" file compatible with
> "unstable" on alpha?

deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main
deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unreleased main

Or use an appropriate mirror (they're listed at www.debian-ports.org.)