RE: Advancing Debian Alpha Porting

--On Thursday, April 14, 2011 04:12:16 PM +0200 Oliver Falk <oliver@linux-kernel.at> wrote:

Hi!

I have some machines and if you want to have them - feel free to
write me an e-mail. Pickup in Austria...

LOL.

I do hope to be in Germany in the fall for LDAPCon.  Think I can bring
them back to the states as carry on luggage?

Bill

-of

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill MacAllister [mailto:whm@stanford.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:43 PM
To: Michael Cree; debian-alpha@lists.debian.org;
Robert.Garron@ieeda.net; cpp@ekkaia.net; baryluk@smp.if.uj.edu.pl;
aloiret@debian.org
Subject: Re: Advancing Debian Alpha Porting

--On Thursday, April 14, 2011 08:48:10 PM +1200 Michael Cree
<mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Debian Alpha People,
>
> You may have noted the removal of the Alpha port from the Debian
> autobuilder network.  Packages are no longer being built for the
> unstable distribution.
>
> Hopefully you have seen the promising message from Aurelien [1] that
> it is likely that the Alpha port of Debian can be accommodated in
> debian-ports in the next couple of weeks or so.  To enable that we
> need to start organising ourselves.  As no-one else has stepped up I
> am sending out this message but I have to admit I have limited
> knowledge of the Debian process of porting and packaging.  I suspect
> we may be all on a step learning curve.  Has anyone heard from Arthur
> Loiret?  It would be nice to get an actual Debian Developer on board.

I have experience building debian packages that we use internally here at
Stanford.  I can help with basic packaging.

> The debian-ports server is a wanna-build server.  It maintains a
> database of built and needs to be built packages and manages the
> allocation of building to buildds.  I believe debian-ports also hosts
> the accessible apt package repository.
>
> It appears we are to provide the Alpha buildds.  We need at least two
> for redundancy but if older hardware is used then we may need three or
> four.  Craig, Witold, Robert, are you all able to offer a machine to
> be a buildd?  I don't think I can---I have an XP1000 that is my main
> computer that I use, and two PWS600au, but they are a bit slow.

I have several AlphaServer 1200s and DecServer 5000s that are idle right
now.  I can probably only bring two onto the net, but I am happy to do that.

> Who is prepared to assist in the checking of built package logs,
> uploading successful builds, and reporting build failures?
> Hopefully we can get three or four of us so that it lightens the load
> and enables package builds to continue when someone is unavailable.  I
> volunteer for some of this load --- but I won't be able to attend to
> it every day.  It will be more likely twice a week.

I can also help with looking the the build logs.

> There are some other things we have to sort out to have a fully
> working Alpha autobuilder network but the above is a start.

Thanks for your efforts and let me know what I can do to help.

Bill

--

Bill MacAllister
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University