Re: Advancing Debian Alpha Porting

--On Thursday, April 14, 2011 08:48:10 PM +1200 Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Debian Alpha People,

You may have noted the removal of the Alpha port from the Debian
autobuilder network.  Packages are no longer being built for the
unstable distribution.

Hopefully you have seen the promising message from Aurelien [1] that
it is likely that the Alpha port of Debian can be accommodated in
debian-ports in the next couple of weeks or so.  To enable that we
need to start organising ourselves.  As no-one else has stepped up I
am sending out this message but I have to admit I have limited
knowledge of the Debian process of porting and packaging.  I suspect
we may be all on a step learning curve.  Has anyone heard from
Arthur Loiret?  It would be nice to get an actual Debian Developer
on board.

I have experience building debian packages that we use internally
here at Stanford.  I can help with basic packaging.

The debian-ports server is a wanna-build server.  It maintains a
database of built and needs to be built packages and manages the
allocation of building to buildds.  I believe debian-ports also
hosts the accessible apt package repository.

It appears we are to provide the Alpha buildds.  We need at least
two for redundancy but if older hardware is used then we may need
three or four.  Craig, Witold, Robert, are you all able to offer a
machine to be a buildd?  I don't think I can---I have an XP1000 that
is my main computer that I use, and two PWS600au, but they are a bit
slow.

I have several AlphaServer 1200s and DecServer 5000s that are idle
right now.  I can probably only bring two onto the net, but I am happy
to do that.

Who is prepared to assist in the checking of built package logs,
uploading successful builds, and reporting build failures?
Hopefully we can get three or four of us so that it lightens the
load and enables package builds to continue when someone is
unavailable.  I volunteer for some of this load --- but I won't be
able to attend to it every day.  It will be more likely twice a
week.

I can also help with looking the the build logs.

There are some other things we have to sort out to have a fully
working Alpha autobuilder network but the above is a start.

Thanks for your efforts and let me know what I can do to help.

Bill

Cheers
Michael.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2011/04/msg00018.html

--

Bill MacAllister
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University