Re: current status of alpha in squeeze

On 29/03/2011, at 3:34 PM, Craig Prescott wrote:
FWIW, though, I don't think we're going to get far asking Debian leadership about a *Squeeze* release on Alpha. I think that ship sailed in 2009.

Absolutely. The time to do something about the Squeeze release was 18 months to 2 years ago and has long past.

Is that really what you meant? IMO, if there really is interest and resources that can be committed to official or semi-official support of Debian on Alpha, it would be better to look beyond Squeeze.

Yes. We will be looking towards Wheezy, but we need immediate and substantial action otherwise Alpha is shortly to be removed from Debian (I am not sure what the timeframe is, but the decision has already been made).

To build Debian packages for the alpha architecture - in the full- blown Debian way - a wanna-build server, buildd machine(s), and an apt repository will be needed.

Official ones exist at the moment but, as noted above, it appears they may be about to be dismantled.

I agree that Steve Langasek is the person to contact at this stage.

Cheers
Michael.