Re: current status of alpha in squeeze - Storage Question - we will need to store the code some where - Fwd: Disk drives

I was thinking... what about those SATA cards with SCSI emulation? maybe it can be possible to trick SRM into thinking it's an SCSI card. It's insane, I know...

Currently, I keep the original 9GB SCSI disk and card just to boot the system, but I wonder if I can use one of those CF 2 IDE and assemble all boot stuff on a single, unexpensive, let's say 512 MB CF card or so... I gave a lot of thought into that boot issue, but at sometime we have to accept that we simply can't mix old and new technology. However, I would really welcome solutions to get rid of the SCSI card and disk and free one of the PCI slots.

I even had USB working on the same machine, until the card burned itself. But the alpha itself is brave and kept running despite of it's advanced age.

Geoff

2011/3/28 Witold Baryluk <baryluk@smp.if.uj.edu.pl>
On 03-28 17:42, Geoff Martin wrote:
> I do use a 1TB disk on my 164LX using a pci SATA card. However I was never
> able to boot from it. Maybe by pure lack of knowledge, or maybe because it's
> not possible at all. If anyone know the magic, please share the magic words

I think it is impossble to do in SRM.

In AlphaBIOS with X86 emulation enabled it COULD be possible
to run such PCI SATA card with its own BIOS, so it will intercept.
But I do not know what is the state of booting of Linux using AlphaBIOS
at all. aboot and MILO do not support it AFAIK, and AFAIK there is no grub port.

So, by running I was saying that I will boot using other means
(build-in or other supported SCSI or built-in IDE, network using BOOTP+TFTP),
and then use PCI SATA controler using Linux drivers.

For example in one of my XP1000, i was using Promise FastTrak100 TX2,
to connect one more IDE disk (becuase XP1000 have only ONE IDE port exposed,
and it was filled with CDROM and IDE/ATA drive already). It was also
becasue I was investigating DMA problems with bulit-in IDE controler.
This card works under Linux, but I have still had some corruptions,
so I will attribute it to the DMA.
This is very misterious, and would like to investigate it further.
(Because this maybe mean i cannot use SATA controler which
probably in all cases use DMA).

Regards,
Witek

--