Re: current status of alpha in squeeze - Storage Question - we will need to store the code some where - Fwd: Disk drives

I do use a 1TB disk on my 164LX using a pci SATA card. However I was never able to boot from it. Maybe by pure lack of knowledge, or maybe because it's not possible at all. If anyone know the magic, please share the magic words : )

Also, I can put myself and my machine (Microway AlphaPC 164LX 533mhz) available to help in the effort to make debian alpha come back to life.

Regards,

Geoff Martin

2011/3/28 Witold Baryluk <baryluk@smp.if.uj.edu.pl>
On 03-28 12:43, Robert Garron wrote:
> Joel,
>
> Can your group do what Bill is asking below?
> Similar to the change of 36 gig to 300 gig...
>
> Regards,
> Robert

AFAIK no Alpha machine uses Grub for booting.
MILO or aboot is used in most cases. Maybe Sometimes directly SRM, or AlphaBIOS
as a hack, but not a grub.

> We will need Debian's test harnesses and test modules used for old Alpha and
> new
> AMD (to adapt).

Alpha have 8k memory pages, but it works for example with smaller block-size,
in example when using ext3 it will use normal to ext3 a 4K (as using 8K,
will make such this unreadable under IA-32, which have upper limit of 4K
file system blocks under Linux, as it is a size of page).

As of disks, I have a one disk (Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB),
which I can attach for a brief period of time into my Alpha,
using PCI SATA controler. But I think other people is already using
such disks in their machines. Can anybody confirm?

Anyway 4k blocks SATA devices are still adressed using 512 byte unites,
or maybe something changed in SATA-3 ?

Regards,
Witek

--