Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:07:17PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Bob Tracy wrote:
> >Someone asked me why I don't try "iceweasel".  I have...  Version
> >3.0.1-1 bombs consistently with an illegal instruction,
>
> Yes, I have the same problem.  Iceweasel 3.0.1-1 crashes on invocation.  I
> see a similar problem was reported for x64, Debian bug #492488, so I added
> a backtrace of the iceweasel crash on Alpha to that bug report.

Very cool.  Thanks for the input.  For what it's worth, 3.0.3-2 hit
"testing" sometime in the past few days: the update was downloaded and
installed last night.  Unfortunately, the crash on invocation is still
happening.

Trying to roll my own "firefox 3" has been educational to say the least.
Found several blog entries to the effect that the Linux distros (Debian
evidently included) are building firefox on top of xulrunner rather than
attempting to build firefox "the official way" (private copy of the XUL
stuff).  That's a bit further down the rabbit hole than I originally
intended to go :-).  I'll try a static build
("ac_add_options --enable-static --disable-libxul": officially discouraged)
before giving up.

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.